Opens February 24, 2015; applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT on March 13, 2015. Expected start date is May 14, 2015.
This position is located in the Jerome and Dorothy Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Lemelson Center) at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (NMAH) in Washington, DC under the direct supervision of the Interpretive Exhibit Manager. The Floor Manager is responsible for coordinating daily operations of Spark!Lab, a hands-on invention space for children and families.
The Lemelson Center is dedicated to exploring invention in history and encouraging inventive creativity in young people.
The Floor Manager will:
- Assist with recruiting, hiring, and training to provide adequate staffing in Spark!Lab from a diverse group of docents and volunteers.
- Oversee daily operations in Spark!Lab, develop daily schedules for facilitators, docents and volunteers and work with Interpretive Exhibit Manager to provide adequate staffing that will create meaningful visitor experiences for the number of visitors and types of audiences anticipated.
- Present educational programs in Spark!Lab for general Museum visitors, specifically children and families.
- Take lead on maintaining program materials for Spark!Lab, overseeing opening and closing procedures, recording daily attendance and procedures for restocking, replacing or repairing supplies and equipment.
- Assist with the planning, development and evaluation of new programs for Spark!Lab.
- Generally assist with other Lemelson Center activities as requested
The best qualified applicants will have experience working in and/or managing a hands-on education space; recruiting, training, and supervising paid and volunteer staff; and developing and coordinating programs for a wide range of public audiences.
This is a full-time, 1-year Trust (non-Federal) position at IS-7, Step 1. The salary is $43,057 with excellent benefits. To apply, please submit by email a cover letter, resume by 5:00 p.m. EDT on March 13, 2015:
Interpretive Exhibit Manager
Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
National Museum of American History, Smithsonian
14th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
MRC 604, PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
email@example.com - Email
The Smithsonian is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.