Division of Research Development and Administration (University of Michigan)
University of Michigan
1150 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2213
30 linear feet
The University of Michigan Department of Engineering Research was established in 1919 within the College of Engineering. In 1948, it was reconstituted outside the college as the Engineering Research Institute. In 1958, it was again reorganized as the University of Michigan Research Institute. In 1961, its name was changed to the Office of Research Administration. And in 1973, the name was again changed to the Division of Research Development and Administration. Minutes of the organization’s executive body; subject files of the Vice-President for Research, Ralph A. Sawyer; staff and committee records; files relating to the Great Lakes Research Division, the Institute of Science and Technology, and the Engineering College Research Council; records documenting the administration of director Robert E. Burroughs; and photographs.