Archives of Manitoba
200 Vaughan Street
12.5 cm textual records 51 photographs 1 artifact
Benjamin Jacob (1892-1975) and John H. Crowley (1879-1963) formed a business partnership in 1914. In 1919, the partnership was incorporated as Jacob Crowley Manufacturing Company Ltd., specializing in ladies' garments. While Benjamin Jacob handled financial and business aspects of the partnership, John Crowley had charge of styling, cutting and factory operations. The firm was not only a pioneer in Winnipeg's garment industry, but also played a key role in the introduction of trade unionism to the needle trades. In 1988, after 74 years of continuous operations by members of the founding families, the company ceased production. The fonds consists of letters of patent and supplemental letters (1919, 1928, 1971), minute book (1949-1971), ledger (1971-1987), correspondence and reports (1945-1986), financial records (1923-1944), share certificates (1940-1942), publications related to the company (1944-1974), newspaper clippings (n.d., 1951), and a company 25th anniversary button. Also included are 51 black & white photographs (1922, 1946, 1972).The images are mainly of employees at work, taken by photographer Harold K. White.