Leedy, Ulysses G.
National Museum of American History
P.O. Box 37012
Suite 1100, MRC 601
Constitution Ave., between 12th and 14th Sts., N.W.,
Washington, D.C. 20013-7012
1 box. 0.15 cubic foot.
Ulysses G. Leedy, band and orchestra percussionist, invented the first practical folding snare drum stand in 1890 and began manufacturing and selling drums assembled in his basement. In 1895 he left his Indianapolis theater orchestra and began to make drums with Sam Cooley under the name Leedy & Cooley, later the Leedy Manufacturing Co. The original factory opened in a room of the Cyclorama Building, Indianapolis. The firm prospered and other instruments were added to its product line. Leedy became sole owner and a new brick factory was erected in 1903, then a 3-story concrete building in 1910. The photos were made ca. 1925 in the expanded second Indianapolis building. C.G. Conn Co., Ltd., acquired control of Leedy in 1929, and in 1930 operations were moved to Elkhart, Ind. Leedy instrument production ceased in 1958. Album contains 38 photoprints, mounted on canvas pages, showing the manufacture of snare drums, bass drums, tympani, xylophones, etc., at the Leedy Manufacturing Co., Indianapolis, Ind. ca. 1925. Various steps in the manufacture of these instruments are shown, including assembly and shipping. Incluydes office scenes, plus a group portrait of the entire executive and office staff; also a group portrait, apparently of the entire work force, standing outside the factory.