How does a rooftop solar installation work?
1. Sunlight shining on the rooftop photovoltaic panel produces direct current electricity.
2. An inverter changes the direct current electricity into alternating current, which is what most appliances use.
3. A two-way electric meter connects to the grid, measuring the current coming into or going away from the house.
4. If the photovoltaic panel produces more electricity than the home needs, the excess can be sent back into the grid.
5. When the home needs more electricity than the photovoltaic panel produces, power can be drawn from the grid.