Sperry Rand Corporation. Univac Division. Executive officer files
Hagley Museum & Library
Manuscripts & Archives Department
P.O. Box 3630
Wilmington, DE 19807-0630
14 linear ft.
The Sperry Rand Corporation was incorporated under the laws of Delaware on June 30, 1955, as a merger of Remington Rand, Inc., and The Sperry Corporation. Sperry Rand was renamed the Sperry Corporation in July 1979. In November 1986 Sperry was merged into the Burroughs Corporation. Burroughs, the surviving corporate entity, was renamed the Unisys Corporation. The firm was a major manufacturer of office machines, electric appliances, computers, feedback control systems and aerospace components. Remington Rand, Inc., a major producer of business machines and office systems, acquired the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation in 1950. The firm had been founded in 1946 by John W. Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert, the co-inventors of the ENIAC, the world's first electronic digital computer. At the time of the merger, Eckert-Mauchly had just about completed work on the UNIVAC, the first stored memory computer to be marketed commercially. The first UNIVAC was delivered to the Census Bureau in March 1951. In 1952, Remington Rand tried to cement its lead by purchasing Engineering Research Associates of St. Paul, Minn. Eckert-Mauchly and ERA were consolidated to form the Univac Division. However, the company continued to lose mar