The Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Lemelson Center) at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (NMAH) seeks a part-time Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator. Spark!Lab is a hands-on invention space at NMAH for children around ages 6 to 12 and their caregivers that incorporates displays of historical inventions, biographies of inventors, and information about invention as a process. To learn more about the Lemelson Center, visit http://www.invention.si.edu.
Under the direct supervision of the Museum Program Specialist who oversees Spark!Lab, the Lead Facilitators are responsible for delivering compelling visitor experiences in Spark!Lab. The Lead Facilitator will:
- Work cooperatively with the staff and volunteers to present educational programs in Spark!Lab for general Museum visitors, specifically children and families.
- Ensure a positive Spark!Lab experience by greeting visitors; engaging visitors through conversation, inquiry, and experimentation; helping facilitate invention challenges; and offering assistance and encouragement at self-directed activities.
- Contribute ideas and constructive feedback about interpretive strategies in Spark!Lab and implement the planning and execution of informal and formal evaluation of Spark!Lab activities, operations, visitor experience, volunteer engagement, etc.
- Assist with daily operations to open, operate, and close Spark!Lab, according to procedures; performing routine maintenance such as inspecting for damaged or missing materials, replenishing supplies, keeping equipment cleaned and organized, and reporting problems appropriately.
- Assist with other general Lemelson Center activities as requested.
The best qualified applicants will have experience working in a hands-on education space with a variety of personalities, learning styles, and age groups. Experience with evaluative techniques and data analysis is preferred. The position will require frequent walking, bending, standing, and moderate lifting.
This is a part-time (21 hours/week), Trust (non-Federal) position at IS-5, Step 1. The hourly rate is $17.78, with benefits. Required schedule includes one weekend day and some holidays.
To apply, please submit by email a cover letter and resume as a single .pdf document with the subject line “Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator” to Lemelson Center Museum Program Specialist Emma Grahn at GrahnE@si.edu. Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. Eastern on AUGUST 1, 2018.
The Smithsonian is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.