Job Announcement—Spark!Lab Lead Facilitator (PART-TIME)
Opens October 5, 2017; applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT on October 19, 2017. Expected start date in December 2017.
This position is located in the Jerome and Dorothy Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Lemelson Center) at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (NMAH) in Washington, DC under the direct supervision of the Interpretive Exhibit Manager. The Lead Facilitator is responsible for delivering compelling visitor experiences in Spark!Lab, a hands-on invention space for children and families, and assisting other Spark!Lab staff in developing and implementing evaluation of the Spark!Lab experience.
The Lemelson Center engages, educates, and empowers the public to participate in technological, economic, and social change. Please visit invention.si.edu for more information.
The Lead Facilitator will:
- Work cooperatively with the staff and volunteers to engage general Museum visitors, specifically children and families, in the invention process and encouraging them to be inventive through conversation, inquiry and experimentation.
- Ensure a positive Spark!Lab experience through greeting visitors and engaging them in facilitated invention challenges, offering assistance and encouragement at self-directed activities.
- Assist with daily operations to open, operate, and close Spark!Lab, according to procedures, performing routine maintenance, including inspecting for damaged or missing materials, replenishing supplies, keeping equipment cleaned and organized, and reporting problems appropriately.
- Contribute ideas and constructive feedback to interpretive strategies in Spark!Lab and implement the planning and execution of informal and formal evaluation of Spark!Lab activities, operations, visitor experience, volunteer engagement, etc.
- Generally assist with other Lemelson Center activities as requested.
The best qualified applicants will have experience working in a hands-on education space, with a variety of personalities, learning styles, and age groups. Experience with evaluative techniques and interpretation of data is helpful. The position will require frequent walking, bending, standing and moderate lifting.
This is a part-time, Trust (non-Federal) position at IS-5, Step 1. At least one weekend day and some holidays will be required as a regular part of the work schedule. The hourly rate is $17.38, with benefits. Required schedule includes weekends and some holidays. To apply, please submit by email a cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. EDT on October 19, 2017 to MillerL@si.edu. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Interpretive Exhibit Manager
Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
National Museum of American History
MillerL@si.edu - Email
The Smithsonian is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.