Spark!Lab Floor Manager (FULL TIME), Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation, Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History
This position is located in the Jerome and Dorothy Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation (Lemelson Center) at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History (NMAH) in Washington, DC. The Lemelson Center is dedicated to exploring invention in history and encouraging inventive creativity in young people. To learn more about the Lemelson Center, visit https://invention.si.edu.
The Spark!Lab Floor Manager is responsible for coordinating daily operations of Spark!Lab, a hands-on invention space for children and families and works under the direct supervision of the Public Programs Manager.
The Floor Manager will:
- Assist with recruiting, hiring, and training a diverse group of facilitators and volunteers to provide adequate staffing in Spark!Lab.
- Oversee daily operations in Spark!Lab, develop daily schedules for facilitators, docents and volunteers to provide adequate staffing.
- Present educational programs in Spark!Lab for general Museum visitors, specifically children and families.
- Maintain program materials for Spark!Lab, overseeing opening and closing procedures, recording daily attendance and procedures for restocking, replacing or repairing supplies and equipment.
- Assist with the planning, development and evaluation of new programs for Spark!Lab.
- Assist with other Lemelson Center activities as requested.
The best qualified candidates will have experience working in or managing a hands-on education space; recruiting, training, and supervising paid and volunteer staff; and developing and coordinating programs for a wide range of public audiences.
This is a full-time, 2-year Trust (non-Federal) position at pay grade IS-7, Step 1. The salary is $50,643 with excellent benefits. The position requires that the candidate work on site.
To apply, please submit a single PDF containing a cover letter and resume to Ms. Monica Smith, at SmithMo@si.edu with the subject “Spark!Lab Floor Manager.” Applications must be submitted no later than 6:00 p.m. EDT on March 25, 2022.
The Smithsonian is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.