Hagley Museum & Library
Manuscripts & Archives Department
P.O. Box 3630
Wilmington, DE 19807-0630
14 linear ft.
John Krider was one of Philadelphia’s most prominent gunsmiths during the 19th century. Krider opened his shop in 1837 and for most of his career was located at the corner of 2nd and Walnut Streets. During the Civil War he served as sutler to the 4th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps. After the War, Krider concentrated his work on breech-loading shotguns for sportsmen. He also sold other sporting goods, such as fishing tackle and sporting trophies, and engaged in taxidermy. After Krider’s death in 1887 the business was carried on by John T. Siner, and around 1903 Leander C. Siner and Charles Mohr assumed control as L. C. Siner & Co. and continued the business into the 1930s. The records consist of seven dealer’s lots covering the history of Krider’s business and that of his successors. Accession 288 consists of 59 account books (1840-1939), including wage accounts (1853-1857), accounts for the repairs of guns (1904-1909), records of daily powder sales (1891-1893), and the treasurer’s record for an unidentified gun club. Accession 680 consists of two bank books on the Tradesmen’s Bank of Philadelphia (1858-1870) and a ledger (1850-1854). Accession 720 (part) consists of a single receipt book (1857-1862) containing the signatures of numerous Philadelphia merchants. Accession 762 consists of loose papers, including bills and receipts for guns, fishing equipment, ammunition, lumber, etc. Correspondence includes letters from E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Colt’s Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, H. & D. Arms Company of New York, the A. H. Fox Gun Company of Philadelphia, and other manufacturers. There are also items relating to Krider’s membership in the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Accession 890 (part) consists of 3 account books (1847-1863), including one in account with Joseph C. Grubb & Company, and a check book. Accession 907 (part) consists of a single letter from S. & W. Powell of Tuckerton [N.J.] 8 Nov. 1846 re the purchase of decoys. Accession 1372 consists of 850 loose items (1817-1930) and 2 account books (1865-1871). The former includes a letter from the lawyer and inventor William Wheeler Hubbell (1845) ordering a gun and mentioning possible orders from Russia through the Russian minister at Washington.