Washington University Libraries
Campus Box 1061
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130
Monsanto Chemical Works of St. Louis, MO was founded in 1901 by John Queeny and named for his wife Olga Monsanto. The company’s first commercially successful product was saccharin followed shortly thereafter by refined acffeine, vanilla, and aspirin. The company expanded its business and product portfolio to include a number of manufacturing facilities in both the United States and abroad. In 1933, the company was renamed Monsanto Chemical Company. From the 1940s to the 1960s, Monsanto introduced several highly innovative products. To reflect the company’s progression into areas other than chemical production it was again renamed Monsanto Company in 1964. The collection consists of items that are of permanent historic interest only: original manuscripts, newspaper clippings, photographs, negatives, slides, films, video cassettes, audio cassettes, and artifacts.