TRAVEL TO COLLECTIONS AWARDS FOR 2021 ARE SUSPENDED.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Lemelson Center is suspending the Travel to Collections Award Program for 2021. Please contact the Travel to Collections Award Coordinator, Alison Oswald at email@example.com for more information.
Since 1995, the Lemelson Center has supported oral and video documentation of contemporary inventors and inventions such as the SmartLevel, a high-tech electronic level; the Gerber Cutter, a computer controlled fabric cutter invented by H. Joseph Gerber; the Sendzimir “Z” Mill for cold rolling steel invented by Tadeusz Sendzimir; and the windsurfer invented by S. Newman Darby.
To encourage use of its invention-related collections, the Lemelson Center offers short-term travel awards. Awards are $150 per day for a maximum of 10 business days (Monday-Friday). No additional funds will be granted for travel. The travel award may be used to cover transportation and living expenses, and copying pertinent archival resources. All funds awarded are subject to tax and non-US applicants should inquire about visa status and tax implications. Scholars, graduate students, and independent researchers not residing or attending school within commuting distance of the National Museum of American History may apply for this program. Awards may not be used to extend other Smithsonian appointments. Only one award can be offered to a visitor within a 12-month period.
Decisions are made on the basis of recommendation and review by the Smithsonian staff.
- Recipients must commence and complete their research at the National Museum of American History within one year of being notified of the award.
- Recipients are requested to submit a short report on their research at the National Museum of American History. Edited versions or excerpts from these reports may be used in the Lemelson Center's publications.
- Recipients are asked to provide the Center with a copy of any publication resulting from research conducted as a result of the award.
The Application Process
Travel Award applications will be accepted for the 2022 cycle beginning on September 1, 2021. The deadline to submit applications is November 1, 2021.
Applicants must apply using the Smithsonian online application system.
***In the year field of the application, please select from the drop-down list the year 2022. This is the year you will begin your appointment.***
Please be aware that complete applications must include the following:
- application form;
- current curriculum vitae or resume;
- bibliography of relevant secondary sources;
- statement of purpose summarizing their project (approx. 5 double-spaced pages) detailing why the Archives Center’s collections are essential to their research; and
- list of specific collections or resources to be consulted
Applicants must consult with the Travel Award Coordinator prior to submitting a proposal. Awards will be announced in March 2022.
To request information about the Archives Center’s invention-related holdings, contact Alison L. Oswald at 202-633-3726. More information about Smithsonian collections and staff can be found on the following websites:
For more information, contact:
Travel to Collections Awards Program
Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
National Museum of American History, Room 1210, MRC 604
P.O. Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Tel: (202) 633-3726
Fax: (202) 633-4593